Frequently Asked Questions


Questions and Answers related to E-File/E-Pay can be found here.


Q.  I want to file a claim for workers' compensation. Where do I go?
A. The Funding Commission does not process claims for workers' compensation. Please visit the Department of Workers' Claims website or call 502-564-5550 for more information.


Q.  Why am I getting a revised simulated premium calculation from the Department of Workers' Claims? 
A.  The Department of Workers' Claims may issue revised simulated premium calculations at any point during the year.  Specific questions concerning the reasons for the change should be addressed to the Self Insured Branch of the Department of Workers' Claims at (502) 564-5550.

Q.  I have received a revised simulated premium notice.  Do I owe additional assessment to the Kentucky Workers’ Compensation Funding Commission?
A.  All previously submitted Quarterly Premium Reports for that calendar year need to be revised and sent to the KWCFC using the new simulated premium figure.  Amounts previously paid should be listed on line 6 of the form.  If additional assessment is due, payment should be made at this time to minimize penalty and interest or request a refund.

Q.  I received a penalty and interest bill from the KWCFC on the additional assessment we paid due to a simulated premium change.  Why?
A.  As a result of a simulated premium change, additional assessment was due.  Penalty and interest are being charged on the portion of your payment which was paid late.

Collections & Quarterly Reports

Q. If we have a credit/refund on our Quarterly Premium Report, how do we handle it?
A. You may take the credit/refund on your next Quarterly Premium Report or you may request a refund.

Q. What if our company no longer writes Workers’ Compensation in Kentucky and we wish to stop filing Quarterly Premium Reports?
A. You may file a Non-Writers Statement.  Please note it is your responsibility to inform the Funding Commission when you begin issuing workers’ compensation coverage again.

Q. What happens if our company is late with a payment?
A. Penalty and interest charges will accrue from the time the payment was due until it was received.  You will receive a Penalty and Interest Statement from the Funding Commission.

Q. What are the rates for penalty and interest?
A. Penalty and interest accrued on late payments of assessments are set out and imposed by KRS 342.1221. Penalty is set by statute at one and one-half percent (1.5%) per month or portion thereof. The Interest Rate is set annually by the Department of Revenue.

Q. We encountered problems filing on a timely basis; can we request a waiver of the penalty and interest charges?
A. Per KRS 342.1221, the Funding Commission does have the authority to waive part or the entire penalty for reasonable cause.  INTEREST MAY NOT BE WAIVED. 

Q. Our company has filed its Quarterly Premium Report timely, but we have received some new data.  Can we revise the Report?
A. Yes. Please download a form for your filing type from the Download Forms for Delinquent or Amended Returns section of our forms page.

Q. Our Group has multiple companies filing reports with the Funding Commission.  Can we send one check?
A. Yes, you may send one check.  Be sure to include Quarterly Premium Reports for all companies along with a statement listing the companies and the amounts due for each company.

Q. Our company is late in filing our Quarterly Premium Report.  Do we calculate our own penalty and interest or wait to be notified by the Funding Commission?
A. No, the Funding Commission will calculate any penalty and interest charges due as the result of late submission of payment of assessment.

Q. What happens if we do not receive a Quarterly Premium Report?
A. The Quarterly Premium Reports are located on our website.  You may download a report from the website.

Q. If our company has no assessment due, must we still file a Quarterly Premium Report?
A. Yes, your company must file a Quarterly Premium Report.  If your company is no longer issuing workers’ compensation coverage, you may file a Non-Writers Statement.  Please see Forms section of website.


Q. Why is our company being audited?
A. KRS 342.1223 requires the Funding Commission to conduct periodic audits of all entities subject to the assessments imposed by KRS 342.122.

Q. What happens after I receive the audit?
A. The audit determinations shall be final if not protested in writing to the Funding Commission within thirty (30) days from the date of this notice.  If a protest is filed, it shall be accompanied by a supporting statement setting forth the grounds upon which the protest is made.  Upon written request, the Funding Commission may extend the time for filing the supporting statement if it appears the delay is necessary and unavoidable.  The refusal of such extension may be reviewed in the same manner as a protested assessment.

Q. Can my company request that penalty and interest assessed in the audit findings be waived?
A.  Per KRS 342.1221, your company may request a waiver of penalty charges. The Funding Commission does have the authority to waive part or the entire penalty for reasonable cause. INTEREST CANNOT BE WAIVED.